- ABOUT US
- RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT
- NEWS & PUBLICATIONS
- INFO CENTER
Quick Facts About Aging in NC
Demographic and census data from a variety of sources.
General Population Data
Race & Gender
Health & Health Care
Caregiving & Long Term Care
Family and Legal Issues
1. NC Office of State Budget and Management. (2010). Projected County Totals: Standard Age Groups.
2. NC Office of State Planning, State Demographics Unit. (2008). Past and Expected Trends.
3. The North Carolina Atlas Revisited. (2008)
4. U.S. Census Bureau. (2009). Median Age of the Resident Population by Race and Hispanic Origin for the United States and States: July 1, 2009 (SC-EST2009-06).
5. U.S Census Bureau. (2008). Poverty Status by State.
6. Streets, Dennis. (2008). Aging Workforce- A Driving Force for the Future: Racing Toward an Aging Workforce. Shackleford, Roger. (2008). Future Workforce Needs in North Carolina.
7. Quinterno, John. (2010). The demographics of aging in North Carolina. North Carolina Insight 23(2-3): 2-47.
8. Gray, Alison. (2010). Money for nothing and "checks" for free: Fraud against the elderly living in North Carolina. North Carolina Insight 23(2-3): 48-60.
9. Warren, Nancy. (2010). Adult Protective Services. North Carolina Insight 23(2-3): 78-81.
10. Alzheimer's Association. 2010 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures.
11. Akers, Lauren; Coble, Ran. (2010). Civic contributions of the elderly in North Carolina. North Carolina Insight 23(2-3): 124-157.
12. U.S. Census Bureau. (2005). Change in Total population and population 65 and older by state: 2000 to 2030.
13. Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs Status of Geriatric Workforce Study. Distribution of Certified Geriatricians in the United States for Populations aged 75 and over, 2007.
14. North Carolina Study Commission on Aging (2009). Report to the Governor and the 2009 Regular Session of the 2009 General Assembly.
15. N.C. Division of Aging and Adult Services. (2007). North Carolina Aging Services Plan 2007-2011: Putting the Pieces Together.
16. N.C. Division of Aging and Adult Services. (updated annually). County Profiles.
17. Data extracted from LTCfocUS.org
18. NC Division of Medical Assistance. (2008). 2008 Medicaid Tables, Table 9: North Carolina Medicaid Claim and Premium Expenditures by Eligibility Category SFY 2008.
19. North Carolina Division of Aging and Adult Services. (2008). North Carolina Aging Statistics.
20. N.C. Center for Public Policy Research. March 25, 2010 News Release
21. State Center for Health Statistics. (2007). NC Vital Statistics Volume 2, Leading Causes of Death - 2007. TABLE A: Leading Causes of Death* by Age Group- North Carolina Residents, 2007.
22. State Center for Health Statistics. (2005). Health Profile of North Carolinians: 2005 Update
23. U.S. Census Bureau. (2011). Age and Sex Composition: 2010
24. NC Department of Health and Human Services. (2011). Impact of the Economic Crisis on Home and Community Care Block Grant Services for Older Adults.
25. Brookings Institution. (2011). The Uneven aging and "younging" of America: State and metropolitan trends in the 2010 census.
26. U.S. Administration on Aging. (2011). 2010 Census Data on Aging.
updated June 2011
Institute on Aging
720 Martin Luther King Blvd., CB #1030
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1030
phone 919-966-9444 | fax 919-966-0510
This page was last modified on: Wednesday, 14-Dec-2011 17:41:28 EST 12/13/11